This page is inspired from the uses.tech movement. So this is a quick overview of the tech I use, which serve me well for my work and hobbies.
Last updated: 21 Sep, 2023
I have a single machine, Macbook Air M1, 2020 with specs as follows:
- CPU : Apple M1, 8 core
- GPU : 7 core
- RAM : 8 GB
- Storage : 256 GB
- OS : MacOS
- Display : 13” 2560x1600 ultra HD
- Keyboard Cover : Laprite Premium Ultra Thin
When not using my Macbook as laptop, I doc it to my desk. For this I use the following hardware:
- Monitor : BenQ 28-inch UHD 4K Monitor
- Dock : EKSA USB C Hub for MacBook
- Keyboard : Portronics, Key-2 Wireless
- Mouse : Logitech, MX Master 3
- Desk Mat : Scarters
I don’t use mainstream social media for a lot of reasons, but, I still consume content online by subscribing to RSS feeds & I do am a regular reader as well. I used to rely on Kindle paperback for ebooks, but lately switched to iPad altogether for both RSS and ebooks. The iPad has spec as follows:
- Model : iPad Air 5, 2022
- CPU : M1
- Gen : 5th
- Storage : 64 GB
- Display : 10.9-inch/27.69 cm
- Protective Cover : ESR, Magnetic (Black)
- Color : Purple
- Pencil : 2nd gen
- Paperlike for screen : ESR
Usually I keep my working machines clean except with the stuff I need at moment, like course material I might be learning or books I want to add to my bookshelf. However, to dump the digital artifacts I use
- SSD Samsung T7 500GB - as my regular storage drive.
- HDD Seagate Expansion 4TB - for long term hoarding.
- Homebrew - package manager.
- VSCode - code editor (howivscode), ditched VSCodium
- ArcBrowser - productivity web browser
- Firefox - for containerized browsing with
- uBlock Origin - for aggressive ad-blocking.
- iTerm2 - terminal.
- zsh - shell.
- Oh My Zsh - zsh plugin for power users.
- Fig - shell autocompletion but in better way.
- Helix - cli text editor (Vim substitute)
- Karbiner Elements - powerful and stable keyboard customizer for macOS.
- IVPN - regular VPN.
- The Unarchiver - free rar unarchive utility for macOS.
- Transmission - Free Torrent Client.
- UTM - for OS virtualization.
- OrbStack - snappy docker Alt for macOS with virtualization.
- Syncthing - cross device sync & backup.
- Notion - knowledge management (not using currently)
- Craft - quick notes, to-do lists, documents.
- Figma - designing tool.
- Canva - for quick mockup videos, posts, presentations.
- Proton - email service.
- NetNewsWire - RSS reader (my setup)
- Strongbox - password manager (my setup)
- Telegram - cloud based instant messenger (best practices)
- Raindrop - bookmarks manager.
- Lastpass - authenticator (Ditched)
- Shotrr - clicking screenshots on Mac.
- Textual - IRC Client for Mac.
- AppCleaner - uninstalling apps on Mac with no junk left.
- Clean Me - A macOS system analyser and cleaner
- WhatRoute - GUI network utility tool for MacOS.
- Rectangle - multi-windows management on Mac.
- Hidden Bar - menu bar items management.
- Calibre - for editing books metadata & inter conversion.
- iBooks - reading.
- mpv - free & open source media player for CLI.
- LocalSend - free & open source nearby file sharing app.
- Tomato2 - promodo technique based app for Mac.
- HazeOver - distraction dimmer to focus on task at hand.
- MonitorControl - control external display brightness & volume.
- Capacities - knowledge & notes management.
- Lulu - macOS firewall (security measures)
- Name Mangler - for bulk file renaming.
- Alice - GPT based AI assistant for macOS (got early access from dev)
- Rize.io - time tracker for productivity
- ImageOptim - file resizing and optimising images, even on the command line (free)
- Shifty - control night shift from menu.
- Velja - free browser picker app for macOS.
- Anytype - Offline, privacy focused knowledge management tool.
- Transmit - remote cloud file transfer app with cool features
Also check my software recommendations