I was recently asked about some software recommendations for a newly setup system which will also help to maintain the optimal state of the machine & make the system productive at the same time. Apparently the matter is a subjective and opinions do differ, regardless, I thought out to frame a list of softwares that have shaped my experience so far and which I stil recommend.
I will be updating this list regularly as I get time or come by new better tool. You can also check my uses page to get insight into my personal artifacts choice.
- uBO - The best ad & unwanted content blocker out there.
- 7-zip - Better than WinRar because free.
- Bleachbit - System Cleaner, safer than CCleaner because FOSS.
- Bitwarden - Open Source Password Management Solution.
- Free Download Manager - Free alternative for IDM.
- JDownloader 2 - Download manager for downloading files in bulk.
- XDM - Another free dl-manager with extension support to grab links.
- Tor - Bypass censorship (won’t suffice for VPN).
- FastForward - bypass annoying link shorteners.
- qBittorrent - The best torrent client for personal use.
- Recuva - Recover your deleted files quickly and easily.
- Velocity - Offline API Documentation tool.
- Zsh - A powerful command line shell.
- LibreOffice - Open source office suite.
- Sumatra PDF - PDF, ePub, MOBI, CHM, XPS, DjVu, CBZ, CBR reader.
- Calibre - Powerful software for e-book management and conversion.
- Blender - Fully-featured extensible cross-platform 3D content suite.
- Inkscape - professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Duplicati - Free backup software to store encrypted backups online.
- mpv - Multiplatform media player.
- rclone - Swiss army knife for cloud storages.
- NetNewsWire - FOSS RSS Reader for iOS and MacOS.
- NextDNS - DNS resolver with Adblocking.
- Syncthing - an open-source peer-to-peer continuous file synchronization utility.
- Avast - Notorious for collecting and selling user data.
- CCleaner - Owned by Avast.
- Bittorrent - has ads, trackers, and is unsafe.
- Utorrent - has ads, trackers, and is unsafe.