Book Review - Revival of Religious Sciences
- Title: Revival of Religious Sciences - Vol 4
- Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Author: Hujjatul Islam Imam Muhammad bin Muhammad Gazali Shafae رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ
- Publication: Maktabatul Madina
- Translation: Urdu
- Format: Hardcover
- Pages: 912
With the grace of Almighty Allah, I finished the fourth volume of this phenominal work by the 11th-century Muslim theologian, philosopher, and Sufi mystic, The Authority (Hujjat) in Islam Abu Hamid Muhammad bin Muhammad al-Ghazali رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ.
It took me approximately 50 days to finish it, with one week of break while my exams were ongoing in the last week of September. Previously, I had completed Volume III back in February of this year. I had read the first two volumes last year.
This fourth Volume is mainly about the Manjiyaat – the signs of good qualities & the ways to adapt them. Manjiyaat is actually an Arabic term that refers to the things or actions that bring about benefit or advantage in one’s life, both in the worldly sense and in the spiritual sense.
Once the heart is cleansed of all spiritual diseases such as anger, ego, greed, backbiting, envy, and jealousy, as well as the obsession with worldly status, it becomes ready to adopt good qualities. This process is similar to how a barren land must first be cleared of thorns, shrubs, stones, and other useless plants before it can be sown with good seeds that will yield delightful fruits.
This volume covers the detailed and thorough explaination on the pre-requisites for the wayfarer which are essential to attain gnosis on the path of Suluk.
The qualities elaborated are:
- Repentance (Taubah): How Taubah is the first step towards adapting the other good qualities for a disciple.
- Patience & Gratefulness (Sabr o Shukur): Sabr & Shukur are like two wings for a disciple which aid him in the divine flight ahead.
- Fear & Hope (Khauf aur Umeed): The fear of hell fire, the fear of rejection from the court of Allah & the fear of bad-end.
- Poverty & Asceticism (Faqr o Zuhd): How poverty elevates the stations of a disciple and why Asceticism is a sign of a Sufi.
- Monotheism & Trust in God (Tauheed aur Tawakkul): The reality of Tauheed, its levels, the types of people based on their knowledge & belief in Tauheed and how Tawakkul is the aftermath of the same.
I have obtained this book in hardcover, translated into Urdu. The publication by Maktabatul Madina is also available for free download
I urge any student of knowledge with an interst in Tasawwuf or cleansing his inner self for purificaton to read this. The book has been translated into many languages. You can read it online as well or download for offline reading from archive.org
Some other books I recommend similar to this genre:
- Quwatul Qulub by Imam Abu Talib Makki رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ
- Batini Bimariyun Ka Ilaj by Maktabatul Madina
- Qalb by Ibn Daud
On the same note, today also marks the start of fifth (last) volume 🤞🏻
Reply via mail